Meet the winners!
Want a $100 credit for your first post-lockdown style at Hair Holistic Studio? Looking to add to your body art at Puedmag Inkpire? Anticipating your first mani/pedi at The Ten Spot? Longing for an appointment at Atelier May? Interested in trying one of Kula Yoga’s classes?
To help support our hardest hit members – our personal care businesses and entertainment venues – the Bloor Annex BIA (@explorebloorannex) is pleased to announce our Light Sculpture Selfie Contest. Take a selfie with one of the Light Strainers in our parkettes and get a chance to win one of 10 prizes of a $100 credit at any of our eligible businesses:
Personal Care Businesses:
- Alex Cuts – IG: @_alexcuts
- Atelier May – IG: @ateliermaytoronto
- Fuzz Waxbar – IG: @fuzzwaxbar
- Glo on Annex – IG: @gloonannex
- Hair Holistic – IG: @hairholisticstudio
- XBow Barbers Lounge (Formerly Mancave Barbers Lounge) – IG: @xbowbarberslounge
- Natural Beauty Nails – IG: @naturalbeauty_nails
- Puedmag Inkpire – IG: @puedmag_inkpire
- RendezVous Bloor – IG: @myrendezvous_
- Republic of hair – IG: @republicofhair
- Tac-Tiq Hair Salon – IG: @tactiqhairsalon
- The Ten Spot – IG: @thetenspot
- CO TO GO Hair Salon – IG: @cotogo.toronto
- Jiva Spa, Salon, & Nutrition – IG: @jivaspa
Yoga & Exercise Studios:
- Ahimsa Yoga – IG: ahimsayogacanada
- Fusion Cardio Toronto – IG: @fusioncardiotoronto
- Kula Yoga Studio – IG: @kulaannex
- Sphinx Pilates – IG: @sphinxpilates
To enter, you must:
- Take a selfie with one of the #Lightstrainers in one of our parkettes (at Bloor & Robert streets, Bloor and Major streets., Bloor St. and Brunswick Ave.) and tag @explorebloorannex as well as the business at which you’d like the credit on instagram (if they’re on instagram, if not, list their name).
- Follow @explorebloorannex and the business you tagged (if you’re not already)
- Like this post on Instagram.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Contest starts on Wednesday April 14, 2021 @ 6:00 AM EST and ends Sunday May 31, 2021 @ 11:59 PM EST. One entry per person by tagging. To be Eligible: Entrants must enter online by following @explorebloorannex on Instagram for a chance to win the Light Sculpture Selfie Contest. Winners will be chosen at random based on the tags on May 30, 2021. Applicable only to Ontario residents above the age of 18. The contest is not endorsed or affiliated with Instagram. Prize winners will be notified the week of June 7, 2021. Winners must answer a skill–testing question to claim prize.
About the Light Strainers
The Bloor Annex BIA worked with STEPS and artists Chris Foster and Layne Hinton to develop a series of kinetic sculptures that would add some vibrancy and light to the parkettes on Robert St., Major St., and Brunswick Ave., during the darker winter months, but also to create art that the local community could safely engage during the COVID-19 pandemic period.
Gesturing towards the challenges faced by restaurants in the Annex and the world over during the pandemic, Light Strainers transforms a banal utility object common to kitchens everywhere – the colander. Each sculpture at these three Bloor Street parkettes features a different arrangement of colander columns, through which projected light creates a mesmerizing loop of shifting patterns.
The kinetic light sculptures are located in 3 of the BIA’s parkettes and are ready for visitors starting March 18th until May 31st, 2021. Take a stroll if you are in the area to witness the magic created by the projected light!
ABOUT THE ARTISTS
Chris Foster & Layne Hinton are Toronto-based multidisciplinary artists who are partners in life and occasional partners in art. Together they create site-responsive installations that investigate the histories, materials and architectures of the built environment.
Foster received an interdisciplinary BFA from NSCAD University in 2008. He is one half of the artist collective Lake Effect Projects. His artwork has been exhibited across Canada and internationally, including the Art Gallery of Ontario, Ontario Place, YYZ Artists’ Outlet, and Nuit Blanche.
Hinton holds a BFA from OCAD University and has exhibited work locally at the Art Gallery of Ontario, InterAccess, and Pleasure Dome, and abroad at the Hermitage Museum Russia, University of Buffalo SUNY and Mono No Aware NYC. She is also the Co-Director and Co-Curator of Art Spin, an organization that presents site-specific and temporary public art projects in unique spaces.
STEPS creates one-of-a-kind public art plans, installations and engagement strategies that meet public art and placemaking needs, transform spaces into a cultural destination, foster stronger relationships with the community, and showcases the talent of diverse Canadian artists.
STEPS (Sustainable Thinking and Expression on Public Space) has received numerous awards for their high-impact programs, including the inaugural national Culture Days Innovative Event Award; the NXT City Prize, and Imagination Catalyst Best Social Enterprise Award from OCAD University.
Since 2011, they have produced 300+ public art installations, 600+ paid artist opportunities, 1,000+ youth leadership opportunities, and 10,000+ community engagement opportunities