Artists are invited to apply until 5:00 pm EST on Saturday July 15, 2023
The Bloor Annex BIA invites artist/s or artist groups to submit proposals for a public space digital art mural. Interested parties are invited to apply until 5:00 pm EST on Saturday July 15, 2023.
This request for proposals is for a digital art mural. The selected artist will submit their finished work in EPS or PDF vector format. Finished art will be printed in full colour on exterior vinyl with an anti-graffiti coating. The BIA will cover all costs of printing.
- The mural will be located at 380 Bloor Street West, Toronto (Bloor and Spadina)
- The wall is brick and measures 14’ x 14’ or 196 sq. ft.
The theme of this mural is “Urban Food Systems”. This theme aligns with the ‘greening’ objectives of the BIA and touches on a current issue in our city. Concepts we encourage you to explore for this mural include:
- Food Cycles
- Food Equity
- Community Health
- Environmental Preservation
- Food Security
- Themes that pertain to the Annex
- BIA (Community Building,
- Commerce, Partnerships,
- Deliver the digital mural file within the agreed upon budget and timeline
- Conform to all specifications set forth by the printer
- Be available to proof colour and drafts with the printer
- Participate in community engagement as needed (including press and social media)
- Communicate with the BIA throughout the project
- Keep the work site clean during work periods (if needed)
- Personal and workplace safety insurance (if needed)
- Supply the necessary materials for the project scope
- Accommodate City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA logos on mural, in an approved location
- Confirm consent to allow The City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA to photograph during the project and to use photos on social media and promotional material
This project is funded in part by the 2023 City of Toronto Outdoor Mural and Street Art Grant and the Bloor Annex BIA.
For mural applicants, please include in your submission:
- A letter detailing (up to 500 words):
- Artist contact information and biography for all artists involved
- Your interest in the project
- How your design concept relates to the theme “Urban Food Systems”
- Your connection to the Annex (if applicable)
- A detailed budget with a maximum amount of $3,000 (including: materials, time, labor, and necessary equipment to complete the project)
- Resume and portfolio highlighting:
- At least two previous work samples (one digital example)
- Outdoor mural projects of similar scope
- Project proposal highlighting:
- Design concept: a written description of your design concept (no more than 200 words). Please convey: mediums and colours that will be used, themes and motifs that will be featured, any other information you feel is pertinent to your design concept.
- We appreciate the time and labour involved in producing a rough sketch of your design/ proposal, and while it is not required, it is appreciated.
- Minimum of two references
Email all materials IN A SINGLE PDF FILE to Melanie at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm EST on Saturday July 15, 2023.
Artist/s will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of BIA business members, staff and local community stakeholders.
Artist/s will be selected based on the following criteria:
- How well your design highlights the designated theme
- Experience producing outdoor murals and portfolio
- Artist/s connection to the local community (if applicable)
- Deadline to Apply: 5:00 pm EST on Saturday July 15, 2023
- Final Artist Selection: 5:00 pm EST on or by August 1, 2023
- Finished Art: September 1, 2023
- Instillation of Mural: September 2023