The Bloor Annex BIA invites artist/s or artist groups to submit proposals for a public space mural. Interested parties are invited to apply until 5:00 pm EST on Thursday June 30, 2022.
- The mural will be located at 378 Bloor Street West, Toronto (Bloor and Bathurst)
- The wall is brick and measures 14’ x 14’ or 196 sq. ft.
The theme of this mural is “City of the Future”. In keeping with the work that the City ofToronto and the BIA are doing with the Mainstreet Recovery and Rebuild Initiative, we would like to offer artist/s an opportunity to imagine the future of our public spaces. We are asking artist/s to explore ideas of:
- Community Building
- Physical Space
- Green Space (Natural environment, ecology, etc.)
- Deliver the mural within the agreed upon budget and timeline
- Participate in community engagement as needed (including press and social media)
- Maintain the quality and integrity of the mural for five years (BIA will be responsible for graffiti removal)
- Budget for, and apply, ‘anti-graffiti’ coating on murals to allow graffiti removal without damage
- Communicate with the BIA throughout the project
- Keep the work site clean during work periods
- Personal and workplace safety insurance (if needed)
- Supply the necessary materials for the project
- Accommodate City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA logos on mural, in an approved
- Confirm consent to allow The City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA to photograph during the project and to use photos on social media and promotional material
This project is funded in part by the 2022 City of Toronto Outdoor Mural and Street Art Grant and the Bloor Annex BIA.
For mural applicants, please include in your submission:
- • A letter detailing (up to 500 words):
- Artist contact information and bio’s for all artists involved
- Your interest in the project
- How your design concept relates to the theme “City of the Future”
- Your connection to the Annex (if applicable)
- A detailed budget with a maximum amount of $5,500 (including: materials, time, labor and necessary equipment to complete the project)
- Resume and portfolio highlighting:
- At least two previous work samples
- Outdoor mural projects of similar scope
- Project Proposal highlighting:
- Written design concept
- Mediums and colors themes that will be used
- Themes and motifs that will be featured
- A sketch of your proposal
- Minimum of two references
Email all materials IN PDF to Melanie at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm on 5:00 pm EST on Thursday June 30, 2022.
Artist/s will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of BIA business members, staff and local community stakeholders.
Artist/s will be selected based on the following criteria:
- How well your design highlights the designated theme
- Experience painting outdoor murals
- Artist/s connection to the local community (if applicable)
Deadline to Apply: 5:00 pm EST on Thursday June 30, 2022
Final Selection: 5:00 pm EST on July 15, 2022.
Instillation of Mural: August-October 2022