The Bloor Annex BIA is opening a Request for Mural Proposals – artists are welcome to apply until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 8, 2021.
- Paul Martel Park located at 10 Madison Ave. Toronto, ON (Bloor St. and Madison Ave.)
- Wall measures approximately 40” long by 6” tall
The theme of this mural is “Indigenous Storytelling”. Artists are encouraged to explore concepts of:
- Indigenous Peoples (contemporary or historical)
- Indigenous stories (traditional or current)
- Natural Ecology
- Cultural Expression
- City Placemaking; celebrating and/or acknowledging that we are on the traditional territory of many nations including the Wendat, Haudenosaunee and Mississauga territories, and now home to many diverse First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples.
- Deliver the mural within the agreed upon budget and timeline
- Participation in community engagement (including press and social media)
- Maintain the quality and integrity of the mural for five years (BIA will be responsible for graffiti removal)
- Budget for, and apply, protective coating on murals to allow graffiti removal without damage
- Communication with the BIA throughout the project
- Keep the work site clean during work periods
- Personal and workplace safety insurance
- Supply the necessary materials for the project
- Accommodate City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA logos on installations in an approved location
This project is funded in part by the 2021 City of Toronto Outdoor Mural and Street Art Grant and the Bloor Annex BIA.
For mural applicants, please include in your submission:
- A letter detailing (up to 500 words):
- Artist contact information and bio’s for all artists involved
- Your interest in the project
- A description of your connection to the larger Indigenous Community and Annex community if applicable
- How your design concept relates to the theme “Indigenous Storytelling”
- A detailed budget with a maximum amount of $7,500 (including: materials, time, labor and equipment)
- Resume and portfolio highlighting:
- At least two previous work samples
- Outdoor mural projects of similar scope
- Project Proposal highlighting:
- Written design concept
- Mediums and colors that will be used
- Themes and motifs that will be featured
- A sketch of your proposal
- Minimum of two references
- Confirm consent to allow The City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA to photograph during the project and to use photos on social media and promotional material
Email all materials IN PDF to email@example.com by 11:59 pm on Sunday August 8, 2021.
Artists will be selected by a panel composed of members and staff of Bloor Annex BIA, community stakeholders and the local Indigenous community.
Artists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- How well your design highlights the designated theme
- Experience painting outdoor murals
- Artist’s connection to the Indigenous community (if applicable)
Artists will be notified of final selections during the week of August 16th. Installations will take place between August – October 2021.