REVISED August 30, 2019
DEADLINE AND BUDGET ADJUSTED
The Bloor Annex BIA is opening a request for mural proposals. Artists are invited to design and paint a mural on the rear east-facing façade of 459 Bloor St. W.
Artists will be chosen by a jury established by the Bloor Annex BIA Board of Directors. Decisions will be made based on the artist’s concept, how it relates to the community’s values, relevant experience, portfolio of past work and connection to the Bloor Annex community.
Artists are welcome to apply until 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 15, 2019.
After years of planning, this year we, in partnership with the City of Toronto, have undertaken to revitalize Bloor Street. Our greening initiative will see the transformation of five under-used rights-of-way into dynamic parkettes with custom site furnishings. To further clear the pedestrian thoroughfare, we will be removing the concrete planter boxes on the north sidewalk of Bloor and will be replacing them with in-ground trees which will grow to maturity.
This mural serves as an opportunity to continue beautifying the Annex community which we know deeply values public art. In 2016, the BIA coordinated with StreetARToronto to install the highly regarded “Bee Mural” at Howland and Bloor and this spring, we installed the “Band of Storytellers” mural at Brunswick and Bloor. The proposed mural will serve as a background to our new parkette located at Major and Bloor and will embody a celebration of the unique qualities of our neighbourhood. To showcase our identity, we are calling on the help of the many talented Toronto artists.
LOCATION AND DIMENSIONS
The location of the façade mural is 459 Bloor Street West. The dimensions of the wall are approximately 50’ x 16’. Picture below.
CRITERIA AND THEME
As part of the Bloor Street Culture Corridor, the Bloor Annex BIA is home to many iconic institutions, such as Hot Docs Cinema, Lee’s Palace, Trinity St. Paul’s, the JCC and more. These institutions and what they stand for contribute greatly to the cultural mosaic that is the Annex. With this mural, we would like to showcase our rich culture through imagery depicting entertainment, performance, art, music and more.
- Draw inspiration from the cultural establishments, entertainment venues and art of the Bloor Annex community
- Speak to the future of the Bloor Annex community, especially in relation to our Bloor Street revitalization project
- Contain colorful and positive imagery that instills a sense of welcoming
- Not be overly intricate or simplistic, we want designs that people can appreciate both up close and from afar
- Deliver the mural within the agreed upon budget and timeline
- Participation in any community engagement involved
- Maintain the quality of the mural for five years
- Budget for and apply protective coating on murals to allow graffiti removal without damage
- Constant communication with the BIA throughout the project
- Keep the work site clean during work periods
- Personal and workplace safety insurance
- Supply the necessary materials for the project
- Small City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA logos must be included on installations in an approved location
This project is funded through the 2019 City of Toronto Outdoor Mural and Street Art Grant. As such, all submissions must adhere to the City’s guidelines.
For mural applicants, please include in your submission:
- A letter detailing:
- Artist contact information and bios for all artists involved
- Your interest in the project
- Your understanding of the Bloor Annex community and neighborhood
- A description of your connection to Bloor Annex (if applicable)
- How your design concept relates to our larger revitalization project
- A detailed budget with a maximum amount of $7,500. Please note that no more than 60% may go towards artist fees and compensation.
- Resume and portfolio highlighting:
- At least two previous work samples
- Outdoor mural projects of similar scope
- Project Proposal highlighting:
- Written design concept
- Mediums and colors that will be used
- Themes and motifs that will be featured
- A sketch of your proposal
- Minimum of two references
- Confirm consent to allow The City of Toronto and Bloor Annex BIA to photograph during the project and to use photos on social media and promotional material
- Email to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on September 15, 2019.
Artists will be selected by a panel composed of the Bloor Annex BIA board of directors and key stakeholders within the BIA.
Artists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- How well your design highlights our community values
- Experience painting outdoor murals
- Artist’s connection to our community (if applicable)
Artists will be notified of final selections during the week of September 16th. The installation timeline of the mural will depend on the City’s construction timeline. Installations will take place Fall 2019 or more likely Spring 2020.
As per City of Toronto guidelines, these murals will be eligible for decommissioning after five years. Bloor Annex BIA will be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of this art during this time, however the artist(s) will be responsible for maintaining the quality of the art.
For questions or more information, please contact:
Bloor Annex BIA